Cavity Care from BRAIDC
Cavities are an issue that most people have to deal with at some point in their lives. First and second teeth can suffer from cavities alike, so it’s never too early to practice good oral hygiene and preventative measures. No matter how often you may brush and floss, however, you are still at risk for a cavity. Over time, plaque builds up on your teeth. The acids in plaque, as well as other some food and beverages that you may consume on a daily basis, can wear down the protective enamel layer. Once the enamel is worn down, acids and bacteria can penetrate the inner layers of your teeth. At Beverly Restorative and Implant Dentistry Center, we are dedicated to helping you treat and fix any existing cavities that you may have, as well as prevent future issues from arising. If you have any questions or concerns about cavities, or you would like to schedule a future appointment, call us today!
Tooth Colored Fillings
Fillings of the past were made of a silver amalgam mix. They can be noticeable due to their color and can reveal a metallic appearance when you open your mouth. At BRAIDC, we offer tooth-colored fillings as an alternative. Tooth-colored fillings, or white fillings, not only match the color of your tooth, but can be filled to mimic the natural shape as well. White fillings are great for repairing work done on cavities, but that’s not all that they are useful for. Because the fillings are able to match the color of your tooth or teeth completely, this makes them a great material to alter your smile in other ways. White fillings can be used to close unsightly gaps between teeth, as well as repair any chips you may have.
Advantages of Tooth Colored Fillings
- They can match the color of your teeth very closely
- They chemically bond with your tooth, securing placement
- Because they bond chemically, they require no screws, pins, or invasive procedures
- After bonding, most of the original strength of the tooth is restored
- Minimal sensitivity in bonded area and surrounding tooth
- Tooth colored fillings can be placed on any tooth; front or back
- If the filling itself ever becomes damaged, it can be repaired
Disadvantages of Silver Amalgam Fillings
- While they are typically durable, temperature changes inside the mouth can cause the fillings to expand or change shape
- Very visible and metallic appearance
- A larger portion of the affected tooth must be removed to fill an amalgam filling
- Mercury has been associated with older metallic fillings
Now that you are aware of the benefits of tooth-colored fillings, you shouldn’t hesitate to call BRAIDC with any questions or concerns that you may have. If you have a cavity, or currently have a situation that would benefit from tooth-colored fillings, Dr. Lee and the BRAIDC office will provide you with all of the necessary information to make a decision that best suits your needs. Schedule an appointment today, even if you simply suspect that you may have a cavity. Visiting a dentist regularly for routine and preventative care is necessary to screen and prevent cavities whenever possible. Cleanings and examinations are vital in preventing larger problems from occurring down the road, especially ones that could be costly and painful. Your oral health is our biggest concern, and we will help you any way we can. Along with our wide range of services available, we offer 24-hour emergency dental services and assure that you will receive top of the line general and cosmetic dentistry. From routine cleanings to restorative treatments, Dr. Lee and his team are here to help you.
To schedule an appointment with our Beverly dentist, please call us at 978-232-9003 or request a dental appointment online.