No matter how often you brush or floss, you are still susceptible to stained teeth. Your teeth can become discolored over time due to a wide range of reasons. Stains can vary in degree due to age, genetics, injury or consumption. Whatever the reason, we realize that stains can be a nuisance or may make you feel uncomfortable. We want you to be confident when you smile, you deserve it! Beverly Restorative and Implant Dentistry Center can help you to remedy these stains, and leave you with a bright and healthy smile.
Common Causes of Stained Teeth
There are many different reasons that you may have stained teeth. Exposure to fluoride, acidic food or drink, trauma, age, or smoking. Whatever the reason may be, BRAIDC is here to help you achieve the smile and pigment of your dreams.
Types of Stains
Extrinsic stains occur when the enamel protecting your tooth is stained. Daily activities can cause such discoloration. This includes coffee drinking, wine, soda, or other ingested food or drink that have a high acidity level. Smoking also causes extrinsic stains.
Intrinsic stains occur in the inner part of the tooth. This area (the dentin) can darken or become tinted a yellowish color. This occurs after a wide range of different exposures. Certain antibiotics that your mother may have taken during pregnancy, or that you may have taken as a child can result in stains. Exposure to an excessive amount of fluoride at an early age, perhaps in your water supply, can also result in intrinsic stains. Trauma in either a baby tooth or a permanent tooth can cause intrinsic damage. A rare condition called Dentinogenesis Imperfecta causes discoloration as well.
Age-Related stains are caused by the wear and tear on our teeth over time. This is a mix of both extrinsic and intrinsic stains, combined with age. As we get older, our enamel weakens. When minimal enamel remains, teeth become susceptible to streaks, yellow tints, or brown spots. This doesn’t necessarily mean that your teeth are unhealthy, just that they have experienced normal wear throughout the years.
How We Can Help
At BRAIDC, we offer assistance for stained teeth or all varying degrees and ages. Tooth whitening is a noninvasive approach to enhance the brightness of your natural teeth. We provide a bleaching gel, along with custom fit trays for bleaching at home. Results may vary, depending on the current condition of your teeth along with consumption of materials that stain. Whitening can also be done along with veneers and porcelain crowns to further enhance your smile, however, it will not work with crowns, bridges, and resign fillings. Whitening may be suggested after a cleaning and all other necessary dental work has been completed.
Benefits of Professional Whitening
- Thorough treatment. Your smile will be evaluated prior to whitening, and a plan will be set to meet your goals and achieve the best results possible.
- Strength. Professional whitening systems are considerably stronger than at-home kits. Severe or intrinsic stains can be reached with professional whitening.
- Comfort and safety. Professional whitening drastically lessens the change of irritation, sensitivity, or discomfort following the procedure. Assistance and monitoring from a trained dental professional increases your safety.
- Time. At home whitening methods require several uses and often take weeks to see results. Without in-office treatments, you will see results in an hour or less.
- Personalized treatment. Trays and strips that are available to the public are often one size fits all. Prior to treatment, we will go over your needs and expectations, and each tooth will be taken into individual consideration.
- Safe, long lasting results. In-office whitening can reach the different layers of your tooth to best remedy stains. Because the treatment reaches underneath the surface, results will be long-lasting. For upkeep, your dentist may provide you with a take-home kit.
Our goal is to help you achieve a happy, healthy smile. Besides the outward appearance of your teeth, their inner health is important as well. Stained teeth can be a nuisance, but can be fixed. Along with our wide range of services available, we offer 24-hour emergency dental services and assure that you will receive top of the line general and cosmetic dentistry. From routine cleanings to restorative treatments, Dr. Lee and his team are here to help you.
To schedule an appointment with our Beverly dentist, please call us at 978-232-9003 or request a dental appointment online.