A toothache is a common problem that many people will experience in their lifetime. A toothache can range in severity and can cause excruciating pain if it isn’t dealt with in a timely manner. While it may seem small at first, a toothache can quickly develop into a much larger problem. Everyday activities can cause a toothache, such as biting down on something hard or flossing aggressively. A toothache can also result from a more serious, underlying issue, so it’s important to rule out anything major. At BRAIDC, your oral health is our greatest concern and we will help you any way we can. Along with our wide range of services available, we offer 24-hour emergency dental services and assure that you will receive top of the line general and cosmetic dentistry. Whatever the cause of your toothache may be, Dr. Lee and his team are here to help you.
Common Causes of a Toothache
- Cavities can cause pain and inflammation.
- Small cuts from flossing or brushing can potentially become irritated. Improper or irregular brushing and flossing can also cause inflammation, leading to a toothache.
- Biting into something hard.
- Foreign materials (such as food) that become lodged between teeth.
- Teeth grinding or jaw clenching.
- Braces, retainers, and spacers have been known to cause toothaches when first used.
- Dentin hypersensitivity occurs when the inner layer of the tooth becomes exposed due to wearing down of the enamel.
- An impacted tooth is one that has failed to fully grow out from the gums. This can cause significant pain, and occurs frequently in molars and wisdom teeth but can ultimately affect any of your teeth.
- Early signs of Periodontitis often manifest as a toothache. This is an infection that can damage your gums and jawbone if it goes untreated.
- If tooth decay reaches the root an abscess can form, causing pain.
- Gingivitis is a disease that causes inflammation of the gums, and a toothache is often a symptom that results.
These causes, though relatively common, range in severity. A piece of food stuck between your teeth is hardly as serious as Periodontitis, but no problem is too small for BRAIDC. If you find yourself experiencing a toothache of any varying degree, you should schedule an appointment before the situation escalates.
24 Hour Emergency Services
BRAIDC is open Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, by appointment. We understand that problems arise outside of operating hours, so we also offer emergency services. If you have an emergency, or you are experiencing severe oral pain, we will make every effort to see you that very same day. If this occurs after business hours, you can take comfort knowing that we have you covered! At BRAIDC, we always have a dentist who is on call and available for emergency treatment or for a referral to a specialist who can assess and address your situation. Call our main line for emergency care, whenever you feel it’s necessary.
To schedule an appointment with our Beverly dentist, please call us at 978-232-9003 or request a dental appointment online.